Our Play Today

 


Today, we finally staged our play at Selaiyur Hall. It was delayed, but all went very well. Some even said that the play is one of the best aspects of today's event, which is our Department Fest.  I would like to share the process and what I felt during the process. First of all, the play is based on Macbeth. It is not a re-enactment of the Shakespearean play, rather a re-interpretation.

The play focuses on Banquo, who is Macbeth's fellow soldier, and his view of Macbeth. While the original Shakespearean play deals with what the hunger for power could do to a person, and later its guilt could drive the same person, this play is about the contest for power. That is, both Macbeth and Banquo have a longing for power, but Macbeth is so driven by ambition that he goes to every extent. On the other hand, Banquo, though he too has ambition, is a dignified person.

The very first plus point is, we have Macbeth in our syllabus in the oncoming semesters and so, I've got a pretty good idea of what Macbeth is. Secondly, I got to know what interpretation is. An interpretation is actually a new story in itself. Moreover, I think the play rehearsals contributed more to my self-development. I wouldn't say I contributed very much to the play, but I tried. Still, inspite of knowing that they wouldn't get much out of me, people asked me for my opinions and took into account of what I thought. The practice sessions were absolute fun. It was not at all like practicing or rehearsing seriously. But at the same time, each of us was equally focused and gave our best. The casting process was not on the basis of who did best. People were given characters and then trained, till the last moment. I had been in previous other plays, where role-switchings were quite usual. People trusted me when I myself did not have that much confidence in me. The environment was so sportive and nobody gave up also. On one hand, people were ready to train till the last moment, while on the other, people had the fire burning in them to learn till the last moment.

The director of our play was keen on holding our spirits high though we had very short time for practice. Nobody looked down upon me and were only appreciating me for whatever step I took. Overall, I really enjoyed the process and am looking forward to improving my activities in theatre. Thank you people for reading this blog😊


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Gap Year

Dad's Chicken Gravy

My ICA Enlightenment